Help for Ukraine
Do you want to do something to help people in Ukraine? View the overview of activities in The Hague here.
The team at Volunteer The Hague has been horrified to see the tragedy and injustice that are currently unfolding in Ukraine due to Russia's unprovoked invasion. As the crisis unfolds, we know that more and more Ukrainian refugees will be arriving in our communities and will need assistance and information. We also know that many people in our expat community who have a strong spirit of volunteerism will be getting involved to help. On this page we will list resources for Ukrainian refugees arriving in The Netherlands as well as some resources from local organizations that are helping Ukrainians who are still in Ukraine. We will update this resource as more information becomes available.
- Website for Ukrainians in The Netherlands. Here you can find helpful information in the Ukrainian language.
- The Hague is temporarily accommodating refugees who have no shelter in hotels. Refugees can report and register at the registration point daily between 8:30 and 23:00. The address of the registration point is: Broodfabriek, Volmerlaan 12, 2288 GD Rijswijk. Refugees are transferred from the registration point to reception locations in the region. Please note: Refugees who have temporary shelter do not have to register now.
- Do you have questions about registering or childcare? Then contact the municipality by telephone: (070) 353 80 24 (+31 70 3538024 from abroad). This number is available on working days from 8:30 to 17:00. More information from the municipality of The Hague can be found here.
- Vluchtelingenwerk provides information about the type of work refugees may do and where they have to report. Some answers to frequently asked questions can be found here. Still have questions? You can reach Refugee Work, The Hague via [email protected] and by telephone at 070-3265367
- The organization Nidos is currently arranging reception and guardianship for unaccompanied minor refugee children. Many unaccompanied Ukrainian children will be taken in by their own family or acquaintances in the area. However, for unaccompanied minor children without family or acquaintances, Nidos is looking for families within the Ukrainian community in the Netherlands. Nidos works with families with a similar cultural and linguistic background to that of the children in need.
- Important note: Guardianship must be arranged for unaccompanied refugee children who are already being cared. To do this, contact the Nidos office in your region. (See this link for The Hague.) For questions about becoming a child's guardian and general registration questions, you can find more information at this link.
- IDHEM can provide practical information in your own language (Ukrainian/Russian/English). You can reach them by telephone at 070-3658183, and by e-mail: [email protected]
Refugee Housing Information
- Are you housing refugees from Ukraine and need some financial support? Food Bank Haaglanden offers temporary emergency aid. This offer applies to residents of The Hague, Rijswijk, and Zoetermeer who allow refugees from Ukraine to stay in their homes. The main condition is that you are not yet receiving financial living allowances from the government or municipality. Every week on Thursday or Friday you can pick up a food package at one of our distribution points. More information about the conditions can be found here.
- Roeland Nollen from The Hague brings local families into contact with Ukrainian refugee families.
- There are also citizens' initiative that can help with connecting local families with refugees, including Shelter Ukraine and Room for Ukraine.
- Are you able to offer a place to stay for refugees? Visit www.host4ukraine.com or www.shelter4ua.com to learn more.
- As stated in the previous section, Nidos is currently arranging reception and guardianship for unaccompanied minor refugee children who do not have family or acquaintances in the area.
- The Hague agency Relocation Services Holland has started a helpline for Ukrainian refugees in the Netherlands. They can contact this helpline with all their practical questions and receive explanations in their native language. The line can be called free of charge on weekdays between 10 and 13 via +31615524167
What can you do and what is there to do?
For helping refugees
volunteers who speak Ukrainian or Russian
More and more refugees from Ukraine are coming to The Hague and there are many initiatives. Do you speak Ukrainian or Russian?
Then we really wan't your help!
The Digital Aid program is an innovative program of the National Aid Department within the Dutch Red Cross. The program provides digital assistance to undocumented migrants in the Netherlands. The help consists of providing supermarket vouchers, online information about available help in the Netherlands and a Telegram Helpdesk.