Scan me or visit www.volunteerthehague.nl/o/Spanda-Foundation/opportunities/Archivist/38548 to join
SummaryThe Archivists are responsible for assembling, cataloguing, preserving and managing valuable collections of historical and cultural information.
The selected person will be responsible for the provision, care and management of the permanent collections of data/information that are intended to preserve the past of the Foundation and his founder, and allow others to discover it.
The Archivists are responsible for assembling, cataloguing, preserving and managing valuable collections of historical and cultural information, such as correspondence, manuscripts, projects, photographs, videos, electronic and sound records, visual and artistic material, and any other information relating to the area of interest.
Key duties of the job include:
• evaluating, selecting, retrieving, organizing, digitalizing and arranging materials/records
• study the purpose of those records and take their historical background into account
• storing and preserving perishable documents
• writing descriptions of the preserved records, which researchers may use to locate materials
• in specific instances, creating multiple copies of source materials to provide the public with wider access to historical records
• ensuring that records are available to researchers who need to examine the materials for reference
• disseminating the collected information and making the archives accessible to a wide range of users
• answering enquiries
• producing and materials
• identifying and applying for funding
An interest and awareness of history, art, and the value of archives as evidence may prove advantageous.
Undergraduate degree in any discipline — although history, art, classics or humanistic information management subjects may be advantageous — possibly followed by an ARA accredited postgraduate diploma. Prior work experience, whether paid or in the capacity of a volunteer or docent. An interest and awareness of history and the value of archives as evidence may prove advantageous.
• methodical and logical
• organised, with excellent administrative skills
• IT-literate, archiving software, etc.
• friendly and able to relate well to a wide range of users
• excellent verbal communicators
• able to carry out independent research
• forward-thinking, with an ability to anticipate and prepare for changing uses of archived information
Language: English, Italian, knowledge of Latin may be an asset.
What we will provide to volunteers🤝 Extra support
About Spanda Foundation
The Spanda Foundation has a cross-cultural goal, aiming to a better understanding among people through a deeper knowledge of their mutual cultures, ideas, traditions, faiths and beliefs in a dialogue intended to stimulate cultural diversity. At the heart of this mission is an aspiration to contribute to the achievement of a higher state of consciousness. Spanda is particularly interested in projects that encourage freedom of inquiry, imagination, insight, creativity and expression. Spanda is active in promoting individual and collective development, culture,
education, health, the environment, microfinance, scientific initiatives and projects that add social value by fostering creative solutions and strategic resources and that, by serving the common good, may advance human progress and enrich communities towards a more just, sustainable and peaceful world.
Spanda, as independent facilitator between the official public bodies, the academic world and the cultural and scientific fields, seeks to achieve its aims by means of research; by publishing studies, organizing and promoting cultural events, courses and training programs, and by distributing educational content; by providing information, comprehensive training, equipment, consultations, and exhibition opportunities to independent and public cultural and scientific operators; by awarding grants, prizes and scholarships; by fostering the preparation of essential human, academic, professional and scientific resources and expertise for the highest quality of professional performance; by gathering and disseminating accurate information through catalogues, databases, journals, photographic archives, publications, and other compendia; by sharing of expertise, direct exchange of research and experience through conferences, symposia, seminars and other professional meetings; by maintaining a library and documentation centre, and all other activities, endeavours, ventures and undertakings, none excluded, consistent with its institutional aim and deemed useful to its achievement. The Foundation acts in an advisory capacity to governments, parliaments and social organizations.