Women Empowerment Through Literacy
Scan me or visit www.volunteerthehague.nl/o/SAINT-ANN-FOUNDATION/opportunities/Women-Empowerment-Through-Literacy/44720 to join
SummaryWhat is this Teach English, Reading, Writing and Numeracy all about?
This project was created in an effort to improve language skills for adults.
Why choose this Community & Education project in Buyiga Island?
This is the perfect placement for anyone interested in inter-cultural exchange beneﬁting both local students and the volunteer alike. Teaching your mother tongue to the local students will improve the future prospects of some of the most impoverished children, adults and help them break the poverty cycle.
As a volunteer, you will learn a great deal from the experience, work with amazing children, adults and learn about Uganda’s people and culture. You will also gain a deep understanding of Uganda’s educational system and society in general.
The fee is minimal and learning the local languages could help you leverage your volunteering even more. Just let us know in advance so this can be arranged. If interested in an extensive placement, or getting credit for this volunteer experience.
Role of the Teaching volunteer:
· The volunteers play an integral role in achieving the goals of this project. Volunteers provide language classes in English language and Numeracy.
· They will work with the local teachers to deliver the curriculum.
· They will help the students and adults improve their pronunciation, conversational skills and counting skills.
· Volunteers will be given the freedom to create and carry out their own lessons. The volunteers’ willingness to share and be proactive in their role will make a valuable addition to any classroom.
· Plan the course of study with the learner(s)
· Devote some personal time to preparation as required
· Meet regularly with the learner(s)
· Assume the role of tutor/facilitator rather than counsellor
· Communicate regularly with the coordinator on learner's progress
· Discuss learner and/or program concerns with the coordinator
· Assist in the planning and evaluation of the program.
What skills do I need to be a teacher on this project?
Obviously mastering your native language is a requirement for this project. Also, patience and the love for teaching or mentoring will help you be successful during your time on this placement.
About SAINT ANN FOUNDATION
SAF has been working along side International volunteers since inception in 2016. We have hosted over 50 volunteers from around the world (Ireland, Austria, Uk, Spain, USA, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, china, Ecuador, among others) This network has helped Saint Ann Foundation to broaden its activities to different communities with the help of Volunteers.